I love beets, but they can sometimes taste a too much like dirt. This recipe was a great way to use lots of beets and has a freshness of flavor that is really nice. I use a food processor to shred all the vegetables, but you could also use a box grater and get a great work-out!
and warning, like this hilarious Portlandia skit, beets will make everything red. Don't worry, it's not an emergency, it's not blood, it's just beets...
Beet and Chickpea Gallette
recipe from Martha Stewart
- 4 medium beets, peeled and grated
- 1 russet potato, scrubbed and diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas, rinsed, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 c. flour
- salad greens
- goat cheese
- 1 tbs. lemon juice
- 2-3 tbs. olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil potato in salted water until fork tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beets, potato, carrots, chickpeas and flour.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Press the vegetable mixture into the pan and pack down with a rubber spatula. Allow to brown on one side and cook through for about 10 minutes. Flip very carefully, using the assistance of a plate over the pan, then sliding back into the pan. Cook for another 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a large plate.
- Mix lemon juice and olive oil together and toss with salad greens. Top galette with salad and goat cheese. Enjoy!
|It's not blood...it's just beets|