Soup weather is the best. I failed to post this back when I made it in December because we had an unusually mild winter. Luckily, there's been a touch of cold weather in January and I've actually got a pot of soup on the stove right now (Chicken
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage
- 6 c. chicken broth
- 1 lb. small red or white potatoes, washed and quartered
- 1 can white beans such as Cannellini, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning or dried rosemary and thyme
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded Parmesan and crusty bread (such as Rustic Rosemary Bread) to serve
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, saute onions in olive oil over medium-high heat for about 1 minute or until softened. Add garlic and sausage and cook for about 5-7 minutes. Remove sausage from pot and once cooled, slice sausage and reserve for later.
- To pot, add chicken broth, seasonings and potatoes. Allow to simmer for at least one hour. Add beans, kale, and sausage and salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and serve with crusty bread.