Marfa and West Texas


I took a road trip with my dog, Jake, to Marfa, TX a few weekends ago.  It was a much needed recharge/self-care retreat and good bonding time with my #1 buddy.  Jake is 13 years old, which is getting up there as far as lab mixes go.  I adopted him from the Austin Humane Society when I was in undergraduate and volunteering as a dog walker and dog trainer there.  He was so smart and picked up commands so quickly, I easily fell in love with him.  Jake moved with me to College Station and endured the tortures of being a vet student's pet (helping me with anatomy by letting me palpate his bones; allowing me to practice surgery when I volunteered him for a stomach tacking surgery called a gastropexy).  He was my first buddy before I met Reid.  In fact, I always have to remind Reid that if it hadn't been for Jake, we would never have started dated.  We had Jake in our wedding.


He has welcomed a cat in our household.  Well, not so much as welcomed as cowered away from Julius.  And now with our human pup addition, life's even tougher for the dude.  Having his head patted by John is not as fun for him as it is for John.

Jake
He still has so much love and energy, I sometimes forget that I need to start spending more quality time with him.  We loved how dog-friendly West Texas was.  I was able to bring Jake with me pretty much every where I went.  He sat at my feet while I ate al fresco at Squeeze Marfa and camped with me at Tumble In.  He was welcome at El Cosmico and was even allowed to accompany me into a select number of galleries.
our super cute trailer at El Cosmico: The Princess

If you ever get the chance to go to West Texas, do it.  It is BEAUTIFUL! The sunset, the sunrise, and the night sky is unbelievable.  I really enjoyed visiting the McDonald's Observatory for one of their Star Parties
Star Party at the McDonald Observatory

Other places we ate and really enjoyed were:

Food Shark
the marfalafel

Laventure at Hotel St. George
spicy margarita
my mussels and french fries had my bar neighbors telling me they had food envy
Marfa Burrito
515 S. Highland, Marfa, TX 79843
(325)514-8675
6am-2pm
(cash only)

Squeeze Marfa
Lox Plate


Frama
120 N. Austin; Marfa, TX 79843
8am-9pm
(coffee & washateria)

Alicias Burrito Place
708 E. Gallego Ave, Apline, TX 79830 (43)837-2802 8am-3pm
Cheeseburger Combo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs