Strawberry Gingersnap Icebox Cake

 I have a NYTCooking subscription.  It is one of the many things I have taken pleasure in during the crazy COVID-19 times.  One of the recipes of the week was this Strawberry Gingersnap Icebox Cake and so I made it for my family's reunion a few weeks ago.

I love a good icebox cake.  I mean, not baking or turning on our oven when it's 100F outside always is a great thing.  Jellos/jellies, southwestern fruit salads, and slice fruit can only get you so far sometimes.  Sometimes you just want to stick a fork (or spoon) in a dessert and eat something sweet.

Strawberry Gingersnap Icebox Cake

source: NYT Cooking

Ingredients:

  • 14 oz. bag of gingersnap cookies (I used Stauffer's)
  • 1 lb. fresh strawberries
  • 16 oz. mascarpone cheese
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. zest of lime
  • 1/4 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 tbs. white sugar
  • ~3/4 tsp grated fresh ginger, separated into 1/4 tsp and 1/2 tsp
Directions:

  1. Wash and sort strawberries, reserving about 5-8 of the prettiest strawberries for decoration.
  2. Slice remaining strawberries.
  3. Puree sliced strawberries in a food processor.
  4. If you want to be fiddly, strain strawberry puree in a fine mesh strainer, then return to food processor.
  5. In the same food processor (or a stand mixer), combine mascarpone cheese, vanilla, powdered sugar and 1/4 tsp of the grated ginger and whisk/beat until creamy.
  6. Layer gingersnap cookies in a ~9" spring form pan.
  7. Follow with a layer of strawberry/mascarpone mixture
  8. Repeat layers (I got about 2-3 layers in my circular pan)
  9. End with a layer of the strawberry/mascarpone mixture
  10. Before serving, hull the "pretty strawberries" and mix with granulated white sugar, remaining 1/2 tsp grated ginger, and 1/2 tsp. lime zest
  11. Refrigerate overnight.  To serve, carefully release the springform sides.
Notes: I think I lined the bottom of my pan with a little parchment paper to allow for easier clean-up/serving/release from the spring form pan.  Also, my mascarpone mixture was much more lumpy than I expected it to be.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs