Mom's Bourbon Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 lbs. sweet potatoes
- 3 green apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 6 tbs. butter
- 1/2 c.dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 &1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 c. bourbon
- 1 c. toasted pecans or chestnuts
- optional: 1 bag mini marshmallows
- Roast and peel sweet potatoes in a 375*F oven for about 30-45 minutes. Slice in 1/4" thick rounds.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine butter, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Lower heat to a simmer and add vanilla, maple syrup, and bourbon. Simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Preheat oven to 375*F. In a large bowl, mix together sweet potatoes, apples, and sauce. In a large casserole dish, layer sweet potatoes, apples, and pecans. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 50 minutes. Uncover foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.
- Optional (if you're a fan of traditional marshmallow-topped sweet potato casserole like me): Top with marshmallows and bake at 500*F for 1-2 minutes or until marshmallows golden brown and not burnt.