Egg Fried Rice

I love making fried rice when I've got any leftovers I need to get rid of quickly.  You can sub pretty much any protein or meat and as long as you've got a few basics in the fridge and pantry, you've got dinner on the table in a few minutes.  I usually keep some lap cheong or peas in the freezer for this. Reid loves Americanized Chinese food, so this is a great compromise for both of us.  I like to make this in my wok, but any large pan would work as well.

Egg Fried Rice
Ingredients

  • 2 c. rice, cooked
  • 1 tbs. vegetable oil
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 c. cha siu (Chinese barbeque pork), sliced or lap cheong (Chinese sausage), sliced on the bias*
  • 1/4c. frozen green peas
  • 2 tbs chopped green onion
  • 1 tsp. soy sauce
  • 1 tsp salt**
  • optional: 1/2 tsp. garlic chili paste
* you can substitute any protein.  I've used leftover shrimp, chicken and/or pork before
**I use my Muoi Tieu Hue (smoked salt and pepper)

Directions

  1. In heated wok or pan over medium-low heat, add 1 tsp of oil and pour in egg.  Cook until scrambled.  Remove and set aside.
  2. Add remaining oil and stir-fry cha siu or lap cheong and scallion for about 2 minutes.  If using lap cheong, add a tsp of water and allow to steam for 1-2 minutes.
  3. Increase heat to high and add rice, soy sauce and salt, breaking up rice into grains and cook for an additional 2 minutes.  
  4. Stir in cooked egg and serve immediately.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs