Spaghetti and Vegetarian "Meat" Sauce

Meatless Monday is here! Reid and I occasionally do a meatless Monday since I like to decrease the amount of meat we eat in a week.  It's kind of insane how much meat we eat as Americans, compared to many other countries.  Since my parents are vegetarian, I'm used to not eating meat when I'm home, but things are a little harder when I'm on my own.  I don't have my moms amazing vegetarian Bun Bo Hue to eat, or any of the other countless creative dishes she makes.  I wanted to do something other than just fried (although the Sirachi Honey Glazed Fried Tofu recipe I made the other week was ah-mah-zing!) or broiled/sauteed tofu, so I picked up some vegetarian Italian sausage.  Definitely does not taste like meat, but it is tasty!
Pairs well with homemade garlic bread.  I made a loaf of the four-ingredient no knead bread yesterday and used some of that for the garlic bread, but any rustic type bread would work.  Just smeared it with some butter, Italian seasoning, and fresh garlic and toasted it up in the toaster oven.

Spaghetti and Vegetarian Meat Sauce
Ingredients

  • Vegetarian Italian sausage
  • 1 tbs fresh basil, sliced
  • 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
  • Tomato sauce
  • 1 lb. spaghetti
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
Directions
  1. Cook spaghetti al dente according to directions and drain.
  2. Add 1 tbs. olive oil to large pan over medium-high heat.  Saute garlic until fragrant, about 1 min.
  3. Cook vegetarian sausage according to directions.
  4. Add tomato sauce, grated Parmesan, and basil.
  5. Combine spaghetti and sauce.  Serve immediately.  Garnish with basil and shredded Parmesan.
Purchased at regular grocery store in produce area
On top of spaghetti! All covered in cheese...

I lost my poor meat(ball)

Made great leftovers for lunch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs