Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini

There is something about the fall that makes me want to buy every vegetable I see in the grocery or farmer's market and stuff it with some kind of grain/meat/cheese combination.  Once that 70 degree cold-snap happens (yay! Texas!), I'm buying zucchinis, acorn squash, and bell peppers.  I've posted about my chorizo stuffed acorn squash  and my stuffed green peppers, but I keep forgetting to post this recipe I've been putting into rotation lately.  I came across it in Martha Stewart Living (thanks for the subscription, Amy!).  It's pretty tasty and easy for the week night.

Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini
Ingredients
  • 4 zucchinis, halved length-wise
  • 1 lb. mild Italian sausage, casings removed
  • 1 c. chopped onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. red chili flakes
  • 3/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 c. coarse chopped fresh breadcrumbs (or 3/4 c. dried breadcrumbs)
Directions

  1. Using a spoon, scrape seeds and soft flesh from each zucchini half, creating a boat.  Reserve 1/2 c. of flesh/seeds.  Place zucchini boats in a baking dish drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.
  2. Heat 1 tbs. of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add sausage and onions and brown for about 5 minutes.  Add garlic, reserved zucchini flesh, salt, and red chili flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Remove from heat.
  3. Stir in rest of ingredients and divide mixture among zucchini.  Bake  in 350 degree oven until filling firm and zucchini tender, 35-40 min.  


Yay for fall!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs