No Knead, 4 Ingredient Rustic Bread

My aunt, Co Be, hosted our family Christmas Eve dinner this year at her house. Christmas Eve is always such joyous time for me to be wi family and something I look forward to each year. My whole dad's side of the family gets together for an epic, delicious feast. This year, the menu included hen xao (vietnamese clam salad), shrimp and mayo, baked Brie, assorted cheese, foie gras, hot onion dip, this no knead bread, Osso Bucco, honey ham, zucchini pie, two salads, creamed spinach, mashed potatoes, broccoli casserole, bun bo chay (vegetarian), cheese cake, Che dau (vietnamese mung bean dessert), fruit tart, and John's famous cookies. After dinner, the younger children unwrap their gifts and the adults had a white elephant exchange. It was lots of fun and I'm sad it's already over but at least I got this quick bread recipe to remember it! I also have a new Dutch oven from my aunt to use for this recipe!

I made this earlier this week and I couldn't believe who simple and easy it was. I love making bread, but sometime I just don't have the counter space or energy for kneading. Another great thing about this recipe is that it uses very simple ingredients that most people already have on hand and doesn't require any yeast proofing before-hand. It's a pretty basic recipe and I'm sure it could easily be made into rosemary bread or whatever you desire. I served it with our dinner of spaghetti and baked meatballs Wednesday night. The recipe was originally posted in the New York Times by Mark Bittman here: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html
The recipe I received from my aunt is a variation that makes it even easier!


"QUICK" NO-KNEAD BREAD
Ingredients
3 cups bread flour
1 packet (1/4 oz.) instant yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Oil, as needed

Directions
Combine flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups water and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest about 4 hours at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.
Lightly oil a work surface and place dough on it; fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes more.
At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6-to-8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under dough and put it into pot, seam side up. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes.
Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.
Makes 1 large loaf.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs