Quick-Roasted Mustard and Garlic Chicken

I'll admit it, I've never actually roasted a whole chicken before. In fact, I was a little intimidated of the thought of it. And it's not like there was ever a need for it. Since I just cook for me and Reid, a whole chicken is usually excessive and seemed like a waste of my time and effort. Plus, it's so easy and cheap to buy rotisserie chicken if I need some cooked chicken in a pinch. But Sanderson Farms had whole roasting chickens on sale and I figured it was time to get in a little poultry roasting practice before I have to tackle a turkey. Since I cooked this on a weeknight after work, there was no way I would've gotten it on the table on time without a few shortcuts. I read about this spatchcock (or butterflying) butchering technique in Martha Stewart Living a few months ago and it cuts roasting time in half. It's pretty awesome. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't tried it for myself. I watched this video by Jaques Pippin to help me through it.
http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/how-to-butcher-a-chicken
I also learned how to carve the final product, something I has preciously just hacked my way through!

Once the butterflying is done, all that's left is coating in yummy mustard and garlic dressing, tossing a few red potatoes in olive oil and S&P to the bottom of the roasting pan, and voila! Dinner is ready in 30 minutes! Bonus is that the potatoes roast in some of the chicken drippings and get really nice and crispy.

Quick-Roasted Mustard and Garlic Chicken
One 4-pound chicken
4 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons dry white wine
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon Tabasco
1 teaspoon dried herbs (I used rosemary and sage)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Roasted Potatoes
1/2 pound halved red potatoes
1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

As instructed in the above video link: Preheat the oven to 450°. Using poultry shears, cut along each side of the chicken backbone and remove it. Turn the chicken breast side up and press on the breast bone to flatten the chicken. Using a sharp knife, cut partway through both sides of the joint between the thighs and the drumsticks. Cut partway through the joint between the wings and the breast.

In a bowl, mix all of the remaining ingredients. Turn the chicken breast down and spread it with half of the mustard mixture. Set the chicken in a large roasting pan skin side up; nestling the potatoes tossed in olive oil, salt, and pepper, surrounding the chicken. Spread chicken with the remaining mustard mixture. Roast the chicken for 30 minutes, until the skin is browned and the chicken is cooked through. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, cut it into 8 pieces and serve.

Recipe adapted from Food & Wine





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs