Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

You cannot be a proper Tex-Mex lover without eating at least 1 quart of queso per year.  I'm pretty sure I started the year off in the right direction by making this copy-cat Kerbey Queso for NYE.   Kerbey Lane Queso is my favorite in Austin.  So creamy, so cheesy, and so good.  White queso with pico and a scoop of guacemole in it that you kind-of have to dig around in, which makes it soooo good.  Have I said how good it is?

That being said, I've tried so many queso recipes.  I've made beschemels, I've used expensive, good cheeses.  No queso seems to hold that creamy consistency very well.  So when one of my friends, Rachel, was back home in Austin from her now home-town in Seattle she asked one of the servers what's in it.  She just had to know.  The server leaned in close to her and whispered, "it's white processed cheese."  OMG, my mind was blown.  No wonder it's so flippin' good.  I think the HEB brand white queso is better than Velveeta, so that's what I use.  I've made this queso so many times.  We used to have to bring in food on my 4th year vet school rotations for 'fun food Friday' (an excuse for the Interns and Clinicians to bed fed by 4th year students), and I brought this all the time.

I like to serve this with homemade oven-baked tortilla chips.  Take 10 flour tortillas, cut into 6 pie pieces and spray with olive oil.  Place on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and bake for 5-10 minutes at 325* or until crispy and lightly brown.

Ingredients:

  • 1 block of HEB Easy Melt Queso Blanco
  • 1 c. pico de gallo (chopped tomatoes, onion, cilantro, Serrano, lime juice, and salt) 
  • 1 c. guacamole, my favorite is Alton Brown's recipe, but I have used store-bought in a bind!
Directions:
  1. Melt the queso and keep warm in a Crock pot/slow cooker.  Add in pico and guacemole.  Serve with tortilla chips!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs