Austin Food & Wine Festival

I spent my Sunday volunteering at the Austin Food & Wine Festival.  Since it was a weekend-long event, and I wouldn't have been able to enjoy the entire span of it if I'd bought tickets due to work, I decided to volunteer on my day off.  It was a really enjoyable experience.  I got to watch a few cooking demos and eat great food/sample yummy wines.  Here are a few pics I took while there.
Roasting Pigs



Cooking demo by Marcus Samuelsson


Marcus Samuelsson Up Close
I don't know why this photo keeps uploading sideways ;P





Tidbits I learned:
  1. The reason unsalted butter>salted butter is because salt acts as a preservative so usually unsalted butter is fresher than salted.  (I had always used unsalted because it was easier to control salt levels myself, plus, I like having one butter in the fridge for both cooking and baking) 
  2. Save shrimp shells for making a really flavorful, layered ramen broth
  3. Gewurztraminer wines pair really well with spicy foods. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs