Uncle Brent's Award Winning Chili

A while back, I posted my turkey quinoa "chili" and though it is absolutely delicious, and I've had several people tell me they make it all the time, the reason I couldn't call it chili without the quotations is because of this chili recipe.  Like I'd mention before, Reid is a chili purist.  There should not be beans in chili, or TURKEY, and especially not quinoa!  And that's because Reid had this chili growing up.

His uncle Brent and his father perfected this recipe years ago and used to enter it into (and win) chili competitions.  So, yea.  It's pretty stinkin' good.  Reid's version uses the fattiest meat that you can find.   I found the ground beef for chili at HEB and it's a thicker grind and appears pretty fatty.  I've also added a chipotle in adobe (that I had leftover from making chipotle twice-baked sweet potatoes) the last time I made it, and it was really tasty.  I always make a box of Jiffy cornbread in a small cast iron skillet to serve with the chili.  It's so good for a cold, rainy day!

Uncle Brent's Award Winning Chili
Ingredients

  • 1 tbs. olive oil
  • 1 & 1/2  lbs. chili meat
  • 1 & 1/2 lbs. stew meat
  • 3 large yellow onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 4 tbs. chili powder
  • 1 tbs. sugar
  • 1 tbs. salt
  • 2 tbs. paprika
  • 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
  • 2 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • (Optional) 1 chipotle in adobe sauce
Directions

  1.  In a large pot over medium heat with 1 tbs. olive oil, cook chili meat until no longer pink, about 5-8 minutes.
  2. Add onion, garlic, oregano, cumin, chili powder, sugar, salt, paprika, tomato sauce, cayenne pepper, and chipotles and stir well.  Simmer until meat is tender and filled with flavor, about 2-4 hours.
  3. Optional: Serve with green onions, cheddar cheese, and cornbread!

Skillet Cornbread
Jake and Julius competing for window time




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs