"Healthy-ish" Banana Bread

I really enjoy baking, but having gestational diabetes has made it difficult to enjoy baking the usual things.  Banana bread is one of those things that I'll make once I have a few too-ripe-bananas and want to have breakfast for the week ready.   I have an old standby recipe that I have no idea where it's origins are from, except that the handwritten recipe is in my sister's handwriting and it's on a scrap of a flash card.  I altered this one to include some dark chocolate chips to compensate for cutting back the sugar and subbing whole wheat flour for some of the all purpose flour.  I also added some chopped walnuts for added protein/satiety.  Came out well.  I did add some cream cheese frosting to the loaf for Reid to enjoy.  Without icing, it still comes out to about 42 grams of carbs per serving (which is a bit more then the 30 g/meal I should be eating...).  But hey, I can satisfy myself with half a slice and 1 c. of milk.

"Healthified" Banana Bread
Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 c. butter, softened
  • 2 really ripe large bananas, mashed
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 c. all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/3 c. dark chocolate chips
  • 1/3 c. chopped walnuts

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350*F and coat a loaf pan with cooking spray.  In a large bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, vanilla, butter until sugar dissolved.  Stir in mashed bananas.  In another bowl, mix together flours, baking soda, and salt. 
  2. Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients until just combined.  Add chocolate chips and walnuts.  Pour into loaf pan and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool on a wire rack.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs