Ranger Cattle Wagyu Beef Ranch Visit

Reid and I know some of the coolest people. Maybe I'm biased, but we think our friends are cool. One of our friends is named Josh Eilers and he has a Wagyu beef ranch in Austin.

For those who aren't huge meat eaters, Wagyu beef is a very special, very expensive type of beef with insanely high intramuscular fat marbling. That's what makes beef really tender and flavorful. So Wagyu beef, which is a Japanese breed of cows, make really good and amazing steaks. Among other things.

My son, John, is about 2 years-old. He is going through that, "the cow says..." phase of his development. We know dogs bark, and cats meow, and chickens...make chicken noises. And tigers ROAR!!!! As do dinosaurs. As do bears...etc.

John's been to a few zoos. So we've seen some of these animals in real life, but besides our long car rides through the Texas state, we've never introduced John to a cow up close. And I want my son to know about food. And where food comes from. John and I garden together. And we visit our neighborhood elementary school to visit the chickens that make eggs. So the next logical step was to visit cows. Hence, visiting Josh's Ranger Cattle Wagyu Beef Ranch. It's crazily enough in Austin, TX city limits (right by the airport) and so we woke John up from his afternoon Saturday nap and dragged him, his bleary eyed mother and father, and a case of Lone Stars to the ranch.

Disclosure: I also love cows. I love calves. I love the animals. I did a few large animal rotations in veterinary school just to get a little more cow experience, even though I tracked small animal veterinary medicine. I did the TDCJ (Texas Department of Criminal Justice) rotation and got to palpate 300 cows/day. I even attended a Bovine Practitioners club meeting and quickly realized I was out-of-place (there were, surprisingly enough, no other 120 pound small Asian girls in the room! heck, there were hardly any women at all there). If it wasn't for the low income and equines (horses have a way of trying to kill themselves- a lot by running into fences or getting colic), I may have considered doing mixed animal practice. But, I digress...cows are cool and we got to meet some very cool and friendly cows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs