Pesto and Portobella Orzo

Years ago, my mother made up this recipe.  I had totally forgotten about it until one of my friends, Tina, was talking about how she loved it so much and wanted to make it now that she'd become vegetarian.  It is a really simple dish and very tasty.  The measurements might be weird.  I usually make the pesto by taste/feel so I'm kinda guestimating the amounts now.

Pesto and Portobello Orzo
Pesto and Portobello Orzo
Ingredients:
2 cups orzo
1 bunch basil
1/4 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
1/8 to 1/4 c. pine nuts (I put about a handful in)
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil
1 carton sliced Baby Bella mushrooms


  1. Boil orzo according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.
  2. Combine basil, parmesan, and pine nuts in a food processor.  Mix while drizzling olive in until you get the consistency you want.  I like a thicker consistency for mine.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Saute the mushrooms in a little bit of olive oil over medium high heat until soft. About 5 minutes.
  4. Combine orzo, mushroom, and pesto and warm through.  Serve with parmesan on top.
I sliced up some grilled portobello caps, covered with olive oil, minced garlic, and salt and pepper on the lean mean grilling machine to go with this.  Yummy vegetarian dinner!

Comments

  1. This sounds so good! Mushrooms and pesto are two of my favorite things ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to show this to Ben Fong...he LOVES orzo! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs