Thursday, May 31, 2012

Whole Foods Copy Kale Salad and Petite Lasagnas

The kale salad from the salad bar at Whole Foods is delicious. My fiancé introduced it to me and a few friends and it is amazing! The dressing is sweet and a little citrusy and perfectly compliments the fresh, slightly bitter taste of kale. It's one of those dishes you don't feel guilty about when you eat a giant portion of it. But it, like everything at WH, can be pricey if you're hooked on it. I tried to look up a copy cat recipe online but wasn't very satisfied with the results. So, I did some investigating (IE reading the ingredients label at the salad bar) and came up with something pretty close.

Whole Foods Kale Salad
Ingredients:
1 bunch kale, washed, de-stemmed, and torn into bite-sized pieces
1 c. dried cranberries
1 c. sliced blanched almonds
(the Whole Foods version also has dried apples, but the chewy texture kind of throws me off so I keep it out of mine)

Dressing
1/3 c orange juice
3 tbs white balsamic vinegar
1/4 c olive oil
1 tbs honey
1/2 tsp ground oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 thinly sliced shallot

Mix together dressing ingredients.
Toss with kale, cranberries, and sliced almonds (+/- dried apples)

I made this salad to accompany petite lasagnas. I didn't want to blatantly plagiarize, so the recipe can be found at this blog:
http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2010/11/04/petite-lasagnas/
The novelty of the cute lasagnas, or meat pies as my fiancé called them, outweighs the tastiness of it (not as yummy as the sage Italian sausage lasagna recipe I use from Epicurious). Maybe next time I'll use my Epicurious recipe in the petite lasagna format.

2 comments:

  1. Love me some kale salad! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don"t like dried apples try fresh apples using a peeler. The paper- thin slices of apples taste refreshing and complement the bitter taste of kales.

    ReplyDelete