Bun Thit Nuong Cha Gio (Vietnamese Grilled BBQ Pork and Eggrolls overVermicelli Noodles)

Every time we go to any Vietnamese restaurant, I already know what Reid will order; Bun Cha Gio and a Cafe Sau Da.  I don't think he'd even look at a menu if it wasn't to look for what order number it is.  Yea, he orders by number at any Asian restaurant even when I try to encourage him to practice his Vietnamese.  So since bun cha gio thit nuong, or Vietnamese BBQ Pork with Eggrolls, is his fav, I decided to give it a try.  Usually, if my mom is making this dish at home, to save some time she will purchase ready-made thit nuong and cha gio from the countless of delicious shops in Houston's chinatown. Since I don't really have that luxury in Austin, I decided to try and make the thit nuong myself.  Traditionally, the pork is charbroiled over a grill, and sometimes has lemongrass in it.  Traditionally northerner's thit nuong has to have lots of lemongrass.  Since I don't think my backyard grill even works, I decided to try this recipe I adapted from Hungry Huy's blog. http://www.hungryhuy.com/bun-thit-nuong-recipe-vietnamese-grilled-bbq-pork-with-rice-vermicelli-vegetables/ I did not make the cha gio home-made last night, but used frozen egg rolls that were a little disappointing. But, hey, I only had a half day off of work! ;)

It came out pretty well, so at least Reid was rewarded for coming home from work early to mow the lawn. Yay daylight savings time!

But Thit Nuong Cha Gio attempt #1:

Ingredients:
BBQ pork

  • 1.5 lbs pork shoulder or butt, thinly sliced
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp soy sauce
  • 1 small squirt (~1/8 tsp) hoisin sauce
  • 1 tbs fish sauce
  • 2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 tbs canola oil


  • 1 package rice vermicelli, thin (bun tuoi dac biet)
  • 4-6 fried egg rolls (cha gio)

Vegetables

  • Red leaf lettuce
  • mint (rau thơm)
  • Vietnamese perilla (tiá tô)
  • Vietnamese balm (kinh giới)
  • cucumbers, sliced

Garnish

  • Pickled, shredded carrots (đồ chua)
  • Green onion oil (mở hành)
  • crushed peanuts
  • Dipping Sauce (nước chấm):1/4 c coconut vinegar or lime juice, 1/2 c fish sauce, 1 c sugar melted in 1 c water, 1 tsp garlic chili sauce


Directions :

  1. Marinade pork with rest of BBQ pork ingredients for at least 1 hour, overnight is even better.
  2. Boil noodles according to package directions.
  3. Bake pork in 375*C oven until nearly done, then broil to get a nice char on edges of pork.
  4. In a bowl, layer lettuce, noodles, pork, vegetables and garnishes. Spoon nuoc cham over and enjoy!




Bun Thit Nuong Cha Gio


Reid's favorite Vietnamese dish

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs