Warm Tofu with Spicy Garlic Sauce.

We've been trying to have "Meatless Mondays" to cut down on how much meat we usually eat.  Nothing too crazy, just one day a week when we try to eat vegetarian.  It doesn't seem hard, but we're pretty bad at remembering.  My parents did something similar before my dad when totally vegetarian.  I know I won't be able to do that because I am not as amazing and creative of a cook as my mom, but I'll try.  My sister and her husband have been doing this too, so I thought we could give it a try.  One of the recipes I've made several "Meatless Mondays" is this simple tofu with soy sauce recipe.  It's easy to have a block of tofu on hand, and this prep is not too difficult.  Even though I work a little later on Mondays, I can still have dinner ready by 7:00pm when I throw this quick one together.  Plus, I get to use some of the green onions we've got growing in our raised vegetable/herb gardens (thank you, previous tenant).

Another plus of this recipe is that it's tofu at it's best.  Pretty unadulterated.  Just warmed up and covered with a delicious umami-ish sauce.  I got a mortar and pestel for Christmas from Reid's aunt and uncle which is great for making the garlic paste.  Otherwise, I'd probably just throw it in the food processor.





Warm Tofu with Spicy Garlic Sauce



  • 1 (14-to 18-ounces) package firm tofu (the original recipe uses soft, but Reid and I have trouble with that not falling apart en route to our mouths)
  • 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
  • 1/4 cup chopped scallion
  • 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted and crushed with side of a heavy knife (I purchase toasted sesame seeds from the Korean grocery store)
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon hot red-pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar

  • Directions:

    1. Place tofu block in a medium pot and cover with cold water.  Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then keep warm, covered, over very low heat.
    2. Meanwhile, mince and mash garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt. Stir together with remaining ingredients.
    3. Just before serving, carefully lift tofu from saucepan with a large spatula and drain on paper towels. Gently pat dry, then transfer to a small plate. Spoon some sauce over tofu and serve warm. Serve remaining sauce on the side.  
    4. Enjoy with white rice!



    Recipe adapted from http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Warm-Tofu-with-Spicy-Garlic-Sauce-351871#ixzz2SuJs1RoB

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

    Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs