Salted Caramel Ice Cream

So you know how I love my new ice cream maker? Well, if you didn't, I do.  I've made blueberry pie ice cream and vanilla ice cream.  My favorite so far is this salted caramel ice cream recipe from http://espressoandcream.com/2012/07/salted-caramel-ice-cream.html.  It's really good.  My parents were in town once after I'd made some and my dad kept on saying I needed to start selling it.  Yea, it's that awesome.   I think my dad even told my sister about it and said we needed to start selling it.  Hah!

The first time I made it the cream boiled over on my stove and made a huge mess, so watch it carefully! Don't leave even if you really have to go pee!  Also, the first time I made it I was really paranoid about the chunks of caramel that remained after adding the cream, but the second time I wasn't too worried and it turned out fine.  Espresso and Cream does not say when to add the vanilla, so I guessed.  Also, some of the directions were a little confusing, so these are my interpretations of the directions.

Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Ingredients:

  • 1 c. whole milk
  • 1 tbs plus 1 tsp corn starch
  • 1 1/2 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
  • 1 1/4 c. heavy cream
  • 2 tbs light corn syrup
  • 2/3 c. sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:

  1. In a ramekin or small bowl, mix 2 tbs. of milk with corn starch no longer lumpy.
  2. Whisk the cream cheese and salt in a medium bowl until smooth.
  3. In a measuring cup with a spout, mix the heavy cream with corn syrup.
  4. In a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the sugar until golden amber in color.
  5. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in the cream and corn syrup mixture a small amount at a time.  It will fizzle and pop.  Don't be alarmed, but also don't get any hot splatter on you!  Keep adding a little cream at a time until smooth-ish.  Don't beat yourself up if you have some chunks, like I did.  It will melt together in the next step.
  6. Return the pan to medium-high heat and add in the 1 c. milk less the 2 tbs from step number 1.
  7. Bring to a rolling boil for 4 minutes.  Remove from heat and gradually mix in the cornstarch slurry and salted cream cheese 
  8. Bring back to a boil over medium and cook, stirring with a heatproof spatula until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.  Remove from heat.  If any caramel flecks or cream cheese lumps remain, pour mixture through fine mesh sieve.
  9. Add vanilla and stir to combine.
  10. Transfer mixture to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until completely cold, preferably overnight.
  11. Pout into an electric ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
  12. Transfer to a sealable container and store in the freezer until firm, about 1-2 hours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs