Chipotle Shrimp Tacos

I've had this recipe in my arsenal since my sister and I lived together some 5 years ago.  Those were really awesome days and we cooked together all the time.  I've been making this recipe since 5 years ago.  The one hang up is finding good tomatillos.  Sometimes the tomatillos at HEB are a little sad looking, so I try to make this recipe when they look decent.  This recipe come from food network http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/chipotle-shrimp-taco-with-avocado-salsa-verde-recipe/index.html Sorry the pics are so blurry! That's what I get for always taking photos on my camera phone at night. I need to invest in a better camera, it's just camera phones make uploading pics so easy!
The avocado salsa makes tooooons, so I sometimes reduce the recipe for half or buy some tortilla chips to finish off the rest.  Also, the salsa gets pretty watery in the food processor, so try not to pulse too much.  I have also pan fried the shrimp when I did not have an indoor grill, which is still delicious.

Chiptole Shrimp Taco with Avocado Salsa Verde

Avocado Salsa:

  • 1 small onion, quartered
  • 1 jalapeno, quartered and seeded
  • 1 garlic clove, smashed
  • 4 medium tomatillos
  • 1/2 Hass avocado, peeled, seeded and cut into chunk
  • 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 c. loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
Shrimp:

  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1 tsp chipotle powder
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 8 corn tortillas (I like to use flour sometimes)
  • 8 springs cilantro for garnish
  • 2 limes, cut into wedges
Directions:

  1. Put onion, jalapeno, and garlic in food processor and finely chop.  Add tomatillos, avocado, and salt and pulse until chopped but still chunky.  Do not overpulse, it will get too liquid very quickly.  Stir in cilantro
  2. Heat stovetop or outdoor gril to medium-high.  Mix olive oil, chipotle powder and salt in a large bowl.  Add shrimp and toss to coat.  Grill shrimp until translucent, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes each side
  3. Grill tortillas about 20 seconds per side.  (or wrap in damp paper towel and heat in microwave)  Spoon sauce on tortilla, then top with shrimp and spring of cilantro.  Serve with lime wedge on side.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs