This was a delicious discovery of a recipe I found in Martha Stewart Living magazine. http://www.marthastewart.com/1033653/zucchini-rollatini It was a great way to use the basil that's growing like weeds in my herb garden (also made pesto this week...so much basil!) You can even make the dish vegetarian by omitting the prosciutto. It was very tasty, and pretty, and Reid even said the next morning, that was really tasty!
- 2 large zucchini (8-10 inches long), cut lengthwise into 1/8"-thick slices
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 5-6 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 lb. fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 24 large fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish (about 2 handfuls)-I think I used more like 3 handfuls
- 2 c tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 425*. Season zucchini slices on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook zucchini in single-layer batches until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Layer on each zucchini a piece of proscuitto torn to fit, mozzarella cheese, and basil. Roll each stack into a pinwheel and spear with a toothpick to hold together. *
- Place tomato sauce in 8" diameter baking dish. Place rollatini pinwheels in sauce side by side in dish and remove toothpicks. Bake until cheese is bubbling, 10-12 minutes. Garnish with basil.