Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream

Lately I've been on an ice cream making kick.  It was pretty hot in August and ice cream was a perfect dessert.  Now that I've got some ice cream making skills under my belt, I've started trying to tinker and create my own recipes.  Ice cream is one of those great things to mess with, because most ice creams start with a normal base and then you can make whatever creative concoction you can dream up.

I've been tossing around the idea of making a cafe sau da, or Vietnamese ice coffee, flavor but I wasn't sure how well condensed milk would freeze.  Awesomely enough, my cousin chi Khanh brought these concentrated base of it to a family gathering.  It's made by Lee's Sandwich, a chain of banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich) fast-food restaurants.  I used the triple shot formula for this recipe.  All in all, it turned out really good but it wasn't quite as sweet and strong as cafe sua da.  I think it's just the inevitableness of having cream and sugar as part of the ice cream base...

Vietnamese Coffe Ice Cream
Ingredients:

  • 1 c. plus 2 tbs. whole milk
  • 1 tbs. corn starch
  • 1 1/4c. Heavy whipping cream
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 tbs. condensed milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla 
  • 1/2 c. Lee's Sandwich triple shot cafe sua da
Directions:

  1. Whisk 2 tbs. of milk with corn starch in small bowl, set aside
  2. In medium saucepan over medium heat, add sugar, whipping cream, and triple shot cafe sua da concentrate and allow to come to simmer.
  3. Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in corn starch slurry, condensed milk, and vanilla.
  4. Refrigerate overnight
  5. Follow ice cream maker's directions, then freeze for at least 2 hours before serving




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs