Homemade Wheat Crackers

I have a Martha Stewart magazine subscription and it always inspires me to try new things.  Like baking my own wheat crackers! The recipe sounded easy enough, so I thought I'd try to make them for our NYE party.  And the description really won me over, something along the lines of, "don't let your crackers be an after-thought."  I definitely changed the original recipe quite a bit, as the original recipe did not have enough wet ingredients for me to keep the dough together.  I ended up using about twice the amount of cream that the recipe called for.  It did end up really tasty, though! And, you can make extra to store in the freezer for up to 3 months!

A great accompaniment to delicious cheeses from Antonelli's Cheese Shop, our neighborhood cheese shop.  Their cheese mongers are the best and helped Reid pick out a good Gouda, Brie, Gruyere and blue cheese.

Ingredients:

  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 2 tbs. sesame seeds, plus more for sprinkling
  • 2 tbs. sugar
  • 4 tbs. cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 c. heavy cream
  • flaky sea salt for sprinkling
Directions:

  1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sesame seeds, and sugar until combined.
  2. Add in butter and work until crumbly.  Mix in cream with fork until dough forms.
  3. Form into 2 inch wide logs, cover in plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour up to 3 months.
  4. Cut log into 1/8" thick rounds.  Arrange on parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with sesame seeds and salt.
  5. Bake in preheated oven at 375* for 14-16 minutes, rotating once halfway through baking time. Cool completely on a wire rack.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copy Cat Kerbey Queso

Banh Bot Chien, Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake with Eggs